Shopping in Vietnam
Ariel and I found ourselves in Hoi An at 6:30 a.m. after two nights in a row of uncomfortable night buses. This was our destination for tailoring clothes that will make us look more like teachers, and it became the place we realized that we really love Vietnam as well as Asia in general. The British boys we met in Laos were the inspiration for this endeavor so we went to the tailor that they recommended. After some apprehension about what suits are supposed to look like, we were measured pretty much every way that you can imagine. Three shops later I had picked out an array of items. Are you ready for it? Here comes the tally (and I love tallies):
1- suit with pants and skirt
3- pairs of pants
2- pairs of shoes
6- collared shirts
3- really cute shirts to go out in
2- silk scarves
2- coats (long pee coat and courderoy)
1- work trousers (those are pants to you people from the US)
I think that that is all, but I may be missing some things. The whole experience was very interesting. You get to pick out whatever you want. I want this style of shoe in red with a bow here and this heel and some embroidery on it. I want this jacket but longer and with those sleeves, those buttons and that hood. At times it felt a little overwhelming, but I survived.
Ok, so I am officially in love with Asia. I realized this at breakfast the other day when I was sitting and watching some asia people and I felt warm, fuzzy feelings towards them despite the fact that they were complete strangers. It sounds pretty cheesey and horrid, but it's true and I am not ashamed to admit it. I didn't really think that I would feel this way about this culture (probably because I have such strong feelings about latin culture) so I was a bit surprised by this new tenderness for Asia. The people here can be so gentle and sweet. In Vietnam, we have met such amazing people that we are tempted to just stay here and get jobs, but we know that we need to head to Korea. Afterall, I bought a Korea guidebook already so we have to go. One of our tailors is the sweetest woman I have ever met. Quwen (pronounced like "win") is from a really small town and she works 12 hour days, 28 days a month for a mere $100/mo. Is that for real? I want everyone to stop and think about that. Two days off a month and twelve hour days. Your current job is starting to sound pretty damn good, isn't it? Somehow Ariel and I have a lot in common with Quwen and we talked non-stop with her for hours. We even met up with her for drinks and stayed out until 2 a.m. last night and then got up and met her for coffee at 7 a.m. this morning. She has an intriguing outlook on life and shares many theories on dating with us- like never marry a man who is too interested in his own food to notice what you are eating at dinner.
Ok, so after writing this whole post, I suddenly feel like I am trying to say something that can't really be put into words. Maybe I am just exhausted from the three straight days of getting clothes and shoes made, but I don't really know how to get out what I am trying to say so I will stop for now. Perhaps it will come to me later...
2 comments:
Let me paraphrase for you ... "[I love life]"...
That first picture just kinda looks like you visited a sweatshop with little kids working in it.
Post a Comment