May 28, 2009
Yesterday, I was at the gym and I glanced up at a television showing CNN. The story was on North Korea, and an image of a famine-starved child flashed across the screen. It was the kind of image that hurts to look at. A child with bones protruding and big, sunken eyes. You could tell that the child could barely lift his head up from weakness. Breathing appeared laborious. I'll spare you and not post a similar picture here. When I saw this startling image, I immediately thought Oh my god, I need to go into pediatrics and save children. I know that working with children would be emotionally challenging because sometimes you can't save them, but right now, it's an idea that feels right. I think I will try to do my senior practicum in pediatrics to test out the waters. Hopefully, someday soon I'll be able to go somewhere in the world where children really need help. Just thinking about those children makes me tear up, and I imagine holding them and not wanting to let go. Maybe it's a bad thing to be so emotionally involved, but maybe it means that it is the right thing to do. To be passionate about making a difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The only way to make a difference is to care enough that you do... I think being emotionally involved is what makes people do great things, without a strong passion change does not happen.
I think you would be great at working with children!
Post a Comment