October 31, 2010


Always on the wrong side…

I walk down the sidewalk and am perpetually doing that dance with the oncoming pedestrians; the dance where you shuffle the same directions back and forth trying to decide on which side you will pass each other. I nearly walk onto the escalator going wrong direction. I almost get run over by a bike because I look left before right when crossing the street. I peer into passing cars and discover an infant or, even worse, no one in the driver’s seat only to realize that I am actually looking at the passenger’s seat. They drive on the left side of the road here. They walk on the left side of the sidewalk. I am supposed to get on the left escalator. It’s funny how little things can be so ingrained into your actions without your conscious knowledge. I never realized that I look left before right when crossing the street. I love how being in a new place can show you the little habits that you are so unaware of. How life can be distorted in such subtle ways that make you stop and ponder why you do the things that you do.

1 comment:

Jake said...

I remember that. There are some pretty epic games of sidewalk chicken for Americans in New Zealand. Nice new look to your blog